Tuesday 31 December 2013

Background on the backgrounds

I showed you a close up of one of my current works in progress and talked about the diapering in the background. Now I have some examples to show you where I got this idea from...

Abelard and Heloise from a C14th manuscript of the Roman de la Rose

Another version of the Abelard and Heloise image, which I can't authenticate.

The story of Abelard and Heloise is part of the inspiration for my paintings, although I didn't acknowledge that to myself at first. I have been fascinated by their story for a long time and I suppose that subconsciously it just wanted to be expressed. The more I read and learn about the letters that passed between these twelfth century lovers and their evolving philosophy, the more I want to include their ideas my work...

But for now I am just focusing on those beautiful backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment